Chicken & Sweet Potato Enchiladas
Chicken & Sweet Potato Enchiladas are perfect for those night you’re craving some good ole’ delicious Mexican Food. These enchiladas are packed with chicken, sweet potatoes and great flavor. You won’t want to miss out on these!
I gotta tell you I’m exhausted this week. It’s only Wednesday and I’m beat. We just have a ton of stuff going on right now and it’s driving this lady nuts. This mama needs a vacay stat! To add to the craziness, we are having Coachella and Stage Coach Concerts. If you’ve never heard of them they’re weekend (3 full day) long concerts.
Now you might not know anything about Palm Springs, CA, but it’s a very small town. We have nine cities and only about 400,000 people here. I know that number seems big, but compared to Los Angeles that has 3.8 million, that’s a low number. You add 289,000 additional people coming for these concerts each weekend and that makes for a very crowded town.
You can literally feel the extra people every where you go. I go crazy just driving around town. We don’t have freeways to get around, so where it would normally take 20 minutes to get across town, now takes 40 minutes. Ugh it’s just annoying, but I know it brings business to our small businesses, but I’m glad we’re on our last weekend of concerts.
Since these 3 weekends a year concerts have started, I’ve swore to myself that we would not be eating out. We’re going to stay indoors and not move until these 3 weeks are over. With that being said, I needed to make some gooood dinners. I’m obsessed with Mexican Food and knew if I couldn’t go to our favorite Mexican Restaurant, then I was going to be making some delicious Mexican food.
My favorite are enchiladas and fajita’s. I just like those the best!! Since sweet potatoes are all the rage right now, I wanted to make chicken and sweet potato enchiladas. Instead of boring ole’ chicken enchiladas. 🙂
These Chicken & Sweet Potato Enchiladas are delicious! The ingredient list looks long, but I promise you that these are well worth it. My niece, Sabrina was visiting for Spring Break and she ate 6 with in 2 days. She kept eating and eating. This easy Spanish Rice is great as a side dish too.
Get the Recipe: Chicken & Sweet Potato Enchiladas
- 1 large chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 3 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning, divided
- 3 tablespoon olive oil, separated
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup sweet bell peppers, chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 15.25 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup mild salsa, separated
- 2 tablespoon lime juice, about 1 lime
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 20 ounce can red enchilada sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 10-12 flour tortillas
- garnish: cilantro, sour cream, avocado
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Add shredded chicken to a large bowl. Stir in 1 tablespoon taco seasoning with the chicken; set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, add sweet potato pieces. Cook until the sweet potatoes become tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add the sweet bell peppers and the last tablespoon of oil. Sauté for an additional 3-4 minutes, then add the garlic, stirring together for additional 30 seconds. Add black beans and stir to combine.
- In a large bowl, add the sweet potato mixture with salsa, 2 tablespoons taco seasoning and flavored shredded chicken. Stir to combine everything together.
- Add the lime juice and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Scoop 1 cup of red enchilada sauce on the bottom of the prepared baking dish; set aside until your ready to place enchiladas.
- Scoop 1/4 - 1/2 cup (depending on how much filling you like) of chicken mixture into the center of a tortilla. Sprinkle with some cheese. Press the sides in, then roll the tortilla closed. (I like our enchiladas on the bigger side, so I roll in the sides. It will kind of look like a burrito.)
- Place the enchilada seam-side down in the prepare baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Pour 1 1/2 cups of remaining red enchilada sauce over the top of the enchiladas. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and melted.
- Remove, garnish and enjoy!
These enchiladas are mouth watering. I love the addition of the sweet potatoes. Seriously need this in my life!
Than you Jen! I heart sweet potatoes too! 😉
Awww sorry about the craziness that Coachella is bringing your way but like you said its better for small businesses 🙂 This recipe looks and sounds incredible!
Thank you Anna! The craziness will slow down soon, yay! 😉
Those enchiladas look amazing Cyndi! Didn’t know you were in Palm Springs – my parents spend their winters there! Love that place, such a nice warm place to visit in the midst of our freezing cold weather in the winter! 🙂
Thank you Stacey!! The winters here are amazing. But I wish we had cold. I think the coldest it got here was 55. That is barley jacket weather. ;( The summers are the killers. It’s so hot you can’t even go outside. Ugh so not looking forward to it. 😉
I love the sweet potatoes added and topping them with avocado – they look amazing!
Thank you Kristy!
Enchiladas are a classic flavorite in my house! I love that you added sweet potato. I always add extra avocado too!
I love extra avocado on everything too Ashley! The more the better. And I’m a total cilantro girl too. Yum! 😉
I wish I had some of these for supper now! Haha, we live in a small town too but there aren’t much for influxes of people! I can’t imagine. You’ll get through it! 😉
Thank gosh we are almost done Ashley. Just this weekend and we can relax again. 🙂 Thanks!!
Yum! I love anything with sweet potatoes and of coarse any kind of enchilada!
Oh gosh, I think I would go nuts with that many extra people in town. I don’t deal with crowds well!! haha
I am glad someone else feels my pain Ashley! I hate big crowds too!! Thanks!! 😉
Cochella is SUCH a crazy time. My brother in law will be out there for stagecoach this weekend….more craziness. lol
This is such a fun spin on enchiladas. We love sweet potatoes! Pinned!
Thank you Mariah!!
Cyndi – I don’t eat enough enchiladas. I need more in my life. Adding sweet potato to this dish brings out some sweetness, which I know my family would adore.
You need to change that Erin! Hehe. Thanks sweetie! 🙂
I’m totally craving these enchiladas for breakfast right now, Cyndi! They look amazing! I love the chicken and sweet potato combo, what a creative idea! It sounds like the flavors blend perfectly together. Pinned!
Hehe thanks Gayle!! 😉
Your Mexican recipes are fantastic Cyndi! Love these enchiladas! Pinned of course!
Thank you Mira! Your so sweet!
Enchiladas are one of those things that are still on my list to try at home, they are so easy to make, full of flavor, but somehow I never got chance to make my own. Love the sweet potato and chicken combo, sounds yummy, and looks so delicious!
Oh my Katalina! You need to make these asap! I heart enchiladas!!
Sounds like things are definitely a little crazy right now! These enchiladas look absolutely delicious. They’re full of my favorite ingredients and I love how perfect these turned out!
Thank you Danielle!
Isn’t Coachella where all the celebrities hang out? Are you famous, Cyndi? 🙂
Would love to live where you live, though. Warm weather!
These look so delicious. Sweet potato is such a good idea!
Haha Mir I wish I was famous. 😉 Thank you though! I don’t know if you would want to live here. It gets to be 115 during summers. So yuckie!
Pingback: Shrimp Enchiladas - Julie's Eats & Treats
Great recipe; very tasty; way to many ads!