You guys! This Pineapple Upside-Down Cake is one of the best cakes I’ve ever eaten! It’s moist, delicious and all homemade!No cake box needed in this recipe. This cake is screaming spring season, but since it’s not spring yet, let me bring a little bit of spring to you!
Pineapple Upside-Down Cake is perfect for any occasion. Birthdays, holidays or even anniversary. Or if you’re like me and just love to have dessert every night, then this is for you!!
Now let me tell you something, I’m not a huge cake person. I like them yea, but I don’t have the patience making them. I’m a little bit of a perfectionist and when my cake doesn’t turn out perfect, it bums me out. What I need to realize is that cakes don’t need to be perfect. They look and taste great no matter what, but me being me need them to look like Martha Stewart just whipped it up in the kitchen. 😉
With that being said, this Pineapple Upside-Down Cake is perfect because it requires no frosting and very little time. Also you cover it with pineapples, cherries and brown sugar. So it doesn’t need to be perfect. It’s great for my crazy brain.
This cake is so moist. The pineapple juice and pineapple pieces add a great flavor to the yellow cake. It’s also very soft and delicious!! Topped with a brown sugar coating, more pineapple slices and maraschino cherries. Makes for one amazingly yummy cake.
Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
- 1/4 cup salted butter, melted
- 2/3 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1 (20 oz) can pineapple slices in 100% juice, divided and [b]not[/b] drained
- 9 maraschino cherries without stems
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup reserved pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a 9-inch cake pan place melted butter. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over melted butter.
- Take 7 pineapple slices and cut them in half. Place one whole pineapple slice in the middle of the cake pan, then place cut slices around the pan. Place one whole maraschino cherry in the center of the whole pineapple slice. Cut remaining cherries in half, placing them in the centers of cut pineapple slices.
- Cut 2 pineapple slices into chunks, set aside for later.
- In a medium bowl add, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment cream butter and sugars together until light and fluffy.
- Add in milk and pineapple juice. Then add the egg, making sure to mix until incorporated. Add vanilla extract.
- With the stand mixer on low speed, slowly add the flour mixture. Mixing until just incorporated. Stir in pineapple slices.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan. Place into preheated oven and bake 40-45 minutes. Remember all oven are different, so yours might take less or longer. The cake is done when toothpick entered comes out with few crumbs. Also I always place a baking sheet under my cake pan because the juices from the cake will ooze out sometimes.
- Remove pan from oven and let cool on stove for about 10 minutes. Run a butter knife around the edges of the cake pan to release. Take a serving plate/dish and upside down over cake pan; turn plate and pan over.
- Leave the pan over the cake for a few minutes, so all the brown sugar can run over the cake.
- Remove pan and let sit 5 minutes.
- Cut into slices and enjoy!