A light, moist and delicious lemon cake with a lemon glaze to make it a perfect treat!
Be sure to follow me on Facebook to stay up to date!
It’s that time again for the Cake Slice Bakers monthly cake. Just in case you are new to my blog let me explain to you what the Cake Slice Bakers club is all about. Every year the club chooses a baking book to bake from. Then every month we vote on a cake to bake from that book. Once we bake whatever we decided on, we then blog about it and post the blog on the 20th of every month. What’s fun about this group is that you never know what cake your going to get month after month.
This is my first cake from the club that I am posting on my new blog. I have to tell you that I am excited because I really loved this cake. It was a perfect combination of lemon and moistness. The recipe called for a powdered sugar topping, but I felt like it needed a little more UPH. I am glad that I made the glaze because it made the cake come together and added so much more flavor.
Once I ate my lemon square (because I have to try a bite of everything I cook/bake, don’t you?) I sent the rest of them off to work with my hubby because I just can’t have sweets in the house. I am one of those that will eat sweets instead of a healthy breakfast, lunch and dinner. I am horrible about it. I have no will power. Are you like me? Please tell me you are…hehe.
If you like lemon and cake, then you will love this. I will be making this again once spring is in full effect! Enjoy everyone!
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, freshly grated
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest, freshly grated
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup powder sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- milk, as needed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9×13 baking pan.
- Sift together the cake flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a stand mixer, cut butter into 1 inch pieces and mix on low speed until fluffy. Add lemon and orange zest and mix into butter. Increase speed to medium and cream until light in color, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add sugar about 1/2 cup at a time, until all sugar is incorporated. Scrape the sides of the bowl occasionally; if needed.
- Add in eggs, one at a time. Making sure that each egg is incorporated before adding another egg. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
- In a small bowl; combine the water, lemon juice and orange juice.
- Add the dry ingredients; alternating with the liquids. Making sure to start and end with the dry ingredients. Once everything is incorporated mix for another 10 seconds. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Smooth batter with the back of a spoon to even out.
- Place pan in oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until cake is golden and toothpick comes out clean when inserted into center of cake. Remove pan from oven and set on a cooling rack.
- While cake is cooling make glaze. In a small bowl add all ingredients until you have a smooth consistency. If you need to add milk to thin it out, make sure to add 1 teaspoon at a time.