Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken and Rice
Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken & Rice is a meal you won’t want to pass up. This recipe has everything you need for a yummy dinner. Loaded with chicken, veggies, rice and of course cheese. Who could forget the cheese! Has tons of flavor and is perfect for a busy week night. Enjoy!
Spring break is here! Yay. Wanna know what we’re doing this week?
Yep you heard me right! We’ve been so busy with soccer, school and other things that all the kids wanted to do was relax.
I think we might go to the movies at some point and maybe go swimming if the weather warms up a bit but other than that we are being lazy bugs. Since we decided to just relax, I wanted to make simple easy meals this week.
I remembered that I had this Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken and Rice recipe in the archives and knew I needed to make this again. It’s easy to make and the flavors are so delicious. Plus it makes extras so we have lunch for a few days. Talk about an easy lazy meal. 🙂
I’ve even made a video for you all so you can see how easy it is.
Now I used velveeta in this recipe to make it extra cheesy, but you could use fresh shredded cheese if you’d like. Just put a little extra in there. The more cheese the better right?
Hope you all have or had an awesome Spring Break and if you don’t have kids then you can have an easy meal dinner meal ready for you when you come home from work! Enjoy!
Get the Recipe: Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken and Rice
- 3 chicken breasts
- 2 heaping tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 6 ounces Velveetta cheese
- 8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- garnish, sour cream, jalapeños and salsa
- Spray with non-stick cooking spray or line with a slow cooker bag.
- Place chicken breasts in slow cooker and season both sides with taco seasoning, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Pour black beans, diced tomatoes, corn, minced garlic and stir to combine. Cover, cook on high for 2 1/2 hours, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken to a cutting board and let cool for a few minutes. Shred into bite size pieces; set aside.
- Add Velveeta and 3/4 of the shredded cheese to slow cooker. Cover and cook 15 minutes. Mix together with a whisk.
- Add in bell peppers, shredded chicken and remaining cheese. Cover for additional 5 minutes.
- Mix in cooked rice and cilantro, cover for 10 more minutes, or until hot.
- Garnish, serve and enjoy!