Loaded Smashed Potatoes
Loaded Smashed Potatoes are a no fuss & delicious side dish. Loaded with all the yummy things you’d find in a loaded baked potato. This is one side everyone will love!
Are you like me and push the side dishes to the back ground while making dinner? I’m always thinking and trying to prepare for the main dish, but I rarely spend any time on a side dish.
My go to side is veggies or making a quick salad, but I never take the time to think what would be good. Let’s change that today and make some Loaded Smashed Potatoes!
Since side dishes can become boring and bland, I wanted to come up with something exciting. I’ve seen smashed potatoes all around the web and knew I needed to come up with something my family would love.
Sean’s a huge baked potato fan, but by the time he gets the potato set up, his dinner is getting cold. I knew he would love these because it’s everything in a baked potato, but easier and quicker. The kids even loved these and my daughter loved helping me smash the potatoes.
There’s really no prep time at all. I made some turkey bacon while the potatoes were broiling and then got all the other ingredients together on the counter. Then I got to smash all the potatoes and I’m not gonna lie, it was fun! You could use any potato that you wanted, but make sure they aren’t those large russet potatoes.
Those will end up falling apart and not looking very pretty. You want to get the smaller potatoes. I’ve used red and white potatoes and they turn out great both times. Just remember to wash your potatoes before you broil them. You wanna be able to eat that skin. It’s one of the best parts in my opinion.
Make sure you load these babies up too. All the toppings make these potatoes so much better. I can easily eat two with some grilled steak or chicken. Normally when I make these I don’t add a vegetable side that night because I want to eat two potatoes. But you don’t have to be like me, hehe.
Next time your in a side dish rut, remember these Loaded Smashed Potatoes. Perfect side for any protein and vegetable. Plus easier to eat and cute too?
Get the Recipe: Loaded Smashed Potatoes
- 12 small red potatoes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- pepper & salt, to taste
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 5 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a large boiling pot add water and potatoes, cover. Boil until fork tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain & set aside.
- Drizzle olive oil onto two baking sheets.
- Place potatoes onto baking sheets while still warm. Take a potato smasher or back of a glass and smash down. Turn the smasher or cup around so you get the edges too.
- Brush tops with olive oil, then sprinkle salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Sprinkle each potato with a tablespoon of cheese and place under broiler, until melted and bubbly.
- Top with sour cream, bacon and green onions.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!