Bananas, bananas, and more bananas. They’re great for so many things. Bananas are delicious for snacking, smoothies, ice cream and baking!
I buy bananas every week when I go grocery shopping and every week we have at least 2 to 3 bananas that start to go bad. My hubby always freaks out about it, but I always tell him that as a baker ripe bananas are a dream come true. There are so many possibilities. Normally I will add them to the freezer so I can use them in my daily smoothies or make homemade banana ice cream.
Well this week I wanted to bake something else. I found this recipe for Frosted Banana Bars by Taste of Home and knew I needed to make this. I always make banana bread and banana muffins, but I’ve never actually made cake and/or bars.
I wanted this to be more of a single layer cake then bars, so I changed how it was baked. It turned out perfect and taste just like a snack cake. This Banana Cake is so moist and has such a nice banana flavor that I devoured a piece while cooking dinner. Oops. The cream cheese is so smooth and silky that it compliments the banana flavor perfectly.
This cake is a great dessert to make while having some guests over. So whenever you have some ripe bananas hanging around remember this delicious moist Banana Snack Cake!! Hope you all have a fabulous weekend!
Banana Snack Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups about 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 package, 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- Add flour, baking soda and salt to a small bowl and whisk together; set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar in a stand mixer, until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs until incorporated. Add bananas and vanilla extract, mixing throughly.
- Turn the stand mixer to a slow speed position and slowly add the flour mixture. Mix until just incorporated.
- Spread banana cake mixture into greased baking dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool cake completely on a wire rack before frosting.
- For frosting, cream the cream cheese and butter in a stand mixer, until fluffy. Slowly add the powdered sugar. Then add the vanilla extract. Mix until smooth. Frost bars.
- Serve & Enjoy!