Is it cool where you live? Do you have snow yet? If so then I am jealous and envious. I know, you are probably shaking your head at me and thinking that I am crazy, but when you live in the desert where it gets to be 110 degrees during the summer time, you crave the cooler weather. Now mind you, I probably only last a day actually living in the snow. But I would love to use my seat warmers in my car. I think I have only used them once and that was because I wanted to make sure they worked. Haha.
This recipe is our all time favorite chili recipe. Once the weather does drop a little, the kids are asking when I’m going to make chili. I decided that since the temperature was in the 70’s, it was the perfect time. It wasn’t getting any cooler, so I had to make do.
This chili is one of the best chili dishes I have ever made and it’s a healthier version which makes me a happy girl. Plus it is super easy to throw together! I also love that you add vegetables and you can make it as spicy as you’d like. Yum, it really is so tasty! Oh, and don’t forget to add your sour cream, cheese and green onions. Can’t have chili without those toppings. I hope you give this chili a try on those chilly nights (haha that was funny huh?) or any night you are craving a nice warm, hearty bowl of chili. Enjoy!
Get the Recipe: Turkey Chili
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced into rounds
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound turkey, lean
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 14 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 14 ounce can chicken broth low sodium
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 14 ounce can kidney beans, rinsed
- 1/4 cup scallions, chopped
- Sour cream and cheese for topping
- In a large pot coat pan with 2 tablespoons oil; place over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add carrots and bell pepper. Cook for 3 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add garlic and cook about 30 seconds. Add ground turkey. Brown meat while breaking it up with a wooden spoon, about 5-7 minutes. Stir to break up lumps.
- Add tomatoes, chili powder, paprika, pepper, salt, cumin, tomato sauce, broth, water, vinegar, and kidney beans.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until meat and vegetables are tender, about 30-40 minutes (I like to make this in the morning so I can have it sit all day and have the flavors come together).
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with sour cream, scallions and cheese.