Every main dish needs a side dish, don’t you think? I’m always on the hunt for a good side dish. Before I started really cooking, I’d grab a box of potatoes or rice. Now that I’m older and wiser, I like to make homemade side dishes. I have nothing against the easy boxed stuff. In fact I still use it when I need something quick. But there’s nothing like homemade potatoes.
I always thought the only way to have Potatoes au Gratin, was the boxed kind…Well that is the old way of thinking. What is that saying? Out with the old, in with the new. Welcome fresh ingredients and homemade Au Gratin Potatoes. These potatoes are amazing. Let me tell you something.There’s something about making a dish that has no preservatives and uses all fresh ingredients. Something about it being real food and semi-healthy for you. It just makes you feel good. It’s nice knowing that your family is getting good food too!
Potatoes aren’t super healthy for you, but in moderation you’re ok. Believe me when I say this is a side dish you do not want to pass up. You’ll love making homemade au Gratin Potatoes and you’ll never go back to the boxed stuff again. Promise!It’s time to share these Potatoes au Gratin and enough of my rambling. Give these a try. You won’t be disappointed.
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 large russet potatoes, cleaned and cut into small cubes
- ½ cup milk
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 - 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 green onions, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees. Butter a 9x13 baking dish or 2 qt baking dish with the softened butter.
- Using a mixing bowl or large glass measuring cup, add the milk, cream and mix. Add the flour, garlic, salt and pepper. Whisk all the ingredients together. Make sure you mix the ingredients well so that the flour is incorporated into the mixture.
- Put the potatoes into the baking dish and pour the milk/cream mixture all over the top. Stir to coat all the potatoes and mix together well.
- Cover baking dish with foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 20 minutes. Sprinkle on the shredded cheese and cook for another 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with green onions and serve. Enjoy!!